- In math, we will begin studying measurement- customary and metric, and elapsed time. The test for this unit will be Friday, March 31.
- In Virginia studies, we have begun the unit on Virginia's role in the Civil War. The study guide/homework will come home with students on Tuesday, February 27. . The test for this unit will be March 30.
- In language arts, we will revisit the skill of making inferences. Book reports for March are focusing on biographies or autobiographies. Presentations will be Friday, March 31.
- In science, we are in the unit on electricity and magnetism.
- In Virginia Studies, we have been covering some very sensitive and difficult topics- slavery, reconstruction, Jim Crow, segregation, and discrimination, to name a few. in our studies, we use primary sources such as photos and newspapers. Therefore, students are exposed to some ugly truths in our history. In these primary sources, words are used that are not appropriate today. Our class has had some age appropriate frank and open conversations about these issues. I appreciate the students' curiosity and their sensitivity in these discussions. Students have many thought- provoking questions. As a student of history myself, I believe it is important to teach history as honestly as possible for the age of the child. Our students are also learning how to make connections from the past to the present- which is the true value of learning history in the first place.
So, don't be surprised if your child mentions interesting discussions that we have in Virginia Studies. But also be assured that we handle all material in an appropriate manner for their age.
- On the Wilson homepage there are many student links to online SOL and content practice. On the homepage, click on Student Links on the menu and it will take you to many valuable links for your student to use at home.
- Our snack time is very short. Please send small snacks with your student, such as a bag of chips or a piece of fruit- there is not enough time to eat more than that. I have noticed that some students are bringing quite a lot to eat during that time. Thank you.
- Even though math homework has the days of week at the top of the page- the math homework packet is due at the end of the week (Friday). Social studies is a bit different- it is due at the end of the unit but I try to have the students check the work the next day. If they forget it at home, it's ok. It might be best to leave it in their folder every day so that they bring it back and forth to school each day.
- If your child is in strings- please remind them to bring instruments on Tuesdays and Fridays.
- If you have a change in transportation, please send a note so that I can send it to the office.
- If your student is absent, please send a note so that I can pass it along to the office.
Friday, March 31- Book Fair begins
Friday, March 31- Parks in the Classroom- PWC park ranger will visit 4th grade to speak about Civil War battles in our area
April 6- End of 3rd quarter
April 7- No school for students- Teacher Workday
April 10-14- Spring Break
April 30- Deadline for Yearbook orders